3700 Rufe Snow Drive, Fort Worth, Texas 76180
1250 8th Avenue, Suite 330, Ft Worth, Texas 76104
View Curriculum Vitae
Research, Presentations, Publications, Teaching experience, and other information in complete text of Dr. Johns' C.V.
Licensed to practice since 1974
Private Practice in Obstetrics and Gynecology since 1978
Place of birth and early education: Graham, Texas
College: University of Texas at Austin; Austin, Texas 1970, B.A.
Medical School: University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston;
Internship: Rotating; John Peter Smith Hospital; Fort Worth,
Residency: Obstetrics and Gynecology; John Peter Smith Hospital;
Fort Worth, Texas; 1975-78.
- Certified by The American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology; Feb.5,
- Certified in Laparascopy and Hysteroscopy by the Accreditation Council
for Gynecologic Endoscopy 1996.
- Clinical Associate Professor, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology;
University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas.
- Senior Attending, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, John Peter
Smith Hospital; Fort Worth, Texas.
- Vice Chief, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Harris Hospital-Methodist;
Fort Worth, Texas; 1984-88.
- Chief, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Harris Hospital-Methodist;
Fort Worth, Texas; Feb., 1988-January, 1990.
- Director, Gynecologic Laparoscopy Center, Harris Hospital - Fort Worth,
Fort Worth, Texas; June 1990 - 2000.
- Fellow - American College of Obstetrics and Gynecology
- Fellow - American College of Surgeons
- Member - Society of Reproductive Surgeons (Secretary-Treasurer, 1996, vice president, 1998, president, 2000)
- American Society for Reproductive Medicine
- Southern Gynecological and Obstetrical Society
- Gynecologic Laser Society (Executive Committee Member-at-Large),1988-1990;
Treasurer, 1990 - 1992; Vice President, 1992 - 1993.
- American Association of Gynecologic Laparoscopists (Member-Editorial
Publication, Education Committee); Trustee, 1992 - 1994, secretary-treasurer, 2001, vice president, 2002, president, 2003.
- Editorial Board - Journal of Gynecologic Surgery; Michael S. Baggish,
- Adhoc Reviewer - Fertility and Sterility, 1992 to present.
- Editorial Board - Journal of American Association of Gynecologic Laparoscopists,
1994 - present, associate editor (video), 2003 - present
- Adhoc Reviewer - American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology, 1993
As a gynecologist and surgeon in the prime of his life, Alan Johns had a blossoming medical practice, a growing family, and what he believed to be the maximum amount of empathy for his female patients; until suddenly he found himself on the other side of the telephone, receiving a diagnosis of male breast cancer.
This startling discovery leads Johns on an unusual journey through his own mastectomy, chemotherapy, mammograms, and hot flashes, an experience both challenging and humorous that forces him to reexamine his profession from his patients perspective. With a keen eye for professional detail, a playful sense of humor, and many atypical insights, Johns recounts his childhood, medical education, the events that molded his surgical career, and the invaluable lessons in empathy and medicine that cancer and recovery had in store.